Sunday, November 20, 2005

Family Gatherings

Have you ever noticed how powerful it is to have routines? For someone like me, this is indeed a strong compliment. You see, I hate routines. I love variety for everything. To date, I never know when dinner will be served!

Children and animals are specially rewarded when we follow a certain routine for things.

I will tell you about my kitty Zen. Zen loves to go outside using his flap door, through the garage. Now, every time he wants back in, he doesn’t use the same door. He climbs on the windowsill of my office and looks at me.

I get up, go to the window, open it and in he comes. I pet him when I open the window. Then he goes to the floor, rolls back and forth, cover his eyes with his paws and then stretches his whole body, belly up, waiting for me to pet him again.

I give him a good petting and come back to my chair at the computer. Zen goes out again.
Ten minutes later, he is back. And we re-start the process. Sometimes he takes longer to come back. Sometimes he comes back every hour. Sometimes I forget to look at the window and then see him patiently waiting for me. His eyes are glued to my face, so that I will not miss him when I look out.

This is a routine that he has established for me to pay attention to him. I take the opportunity to stretch as well and to give thanks for all the blessings in my life. I love it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?